top of page

Applying for the GIBill

STEP 1 (All)

Review guidance on MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), MGIB (Chapter 30) and/or Post 911 GI Bill (Chapter 33) benefits at the VA’s website (  VA’s Number is (888) 442-4551.

STEP 2 (All)

Apply for your VA “Certificate of Eligibility” at  Note: If you select the Post 911 GI Bill, then you will be required to irrevocably convert another GI Bill (if applicable) to the Post 911 GI Bill.

STEP 3 (Post 911 GI Bill Only)

Request a “Letter of Certification” from the Air Reserve Personnel Center (ARPC) by following the below vPC procedures.  This letter will summarize the total the number of Active Duty days within your PCARS, so you can upload the document at the GI Bill website (, when requested by VA.  Note:  The “Letter of Certification” is not required if you have your DD214.  

  • Log on to vPC Dashboard through “myPers” via the AF Portal

    • Select “Action Requests”

    • Select  “Create a New Support Request” (top part of left column)

    • Beside “Component” drop-down box, select “Air Reserve”

      • Select “Enlisted” or “Officer”

  • Beside “Category” drop-down box, select “Benefits and Entitlements”

  • Beside “Subject” box, type “Post 9/11 GI Bill Application”

  • Beside “Question” box, type “Request a Letter of Certification for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.”

  • Select “Continue”

  • Select “Finish Submitting”

Just for You?
  • If you want to use the benefit yourself, STOP HERE and contact the school VA Representative to get your benefit started.  Note:  You must provide a copy of your “Certificate of Eligibility” to the school’s VA representative.

  • If you want to transfer your benefit to your dependents, please continue on to STEPS 4 and 5.


STEP 4 (Post 911 GI Bill Only)

Currently, all service members with 6-years of service that qualify for Chapter 33, may transfer all or a portion of their benefits to eligible family members; however, effective 2019, eligibility to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits will be limited to service members with at least six years but not more than 16 years of total creditable service.  Apply for transferability using the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) at the milConnect website  

To access TEB you must sign-in the milConnect, log-on, select “Benefits” tab and click “Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB)” link. Scroll to the right of your dependent’s name and allocate the number of months you would like to transfer to that dependent.  After you submit your application, you will need to monitor your application status on the TEB website (i.e., submitted, pending review, approved, rejected).  Once your request is approved, the status of the request will change to ‘approved’ and the date of approval will be the date you initially submitted the request.  It is your responsibility to check the TEB website for the status of your application.  The transferability data will be sent to VA electronically.  Note:  Print submitted and approved notices for your records.

  • All members will incur a 4-year Reserve Service Commitment and must have 4-years retainability from the transfer request date. ARPC works directly with service members who apply for the transfer.


  • Questions concerning this step must be directed to the ARPC Education office at 1-800-525-0102

STEP 5 (Post 911 GI Bill Only)

Once the transferability application has been approved, your dependent (when ready to attend college) must to apply for their VA “Certificate of Eligibility” at  Note:  Your dependent must provide a copy of the “Certificate of Eligibility” to the school’s VA representative.  

bottom of page